It might still be warm out, but that doesn’t stop me from cooking my one true love—pasta! My garden has been producing such nice squash, that I’m a bit tired of sautéing it and eating it “plain.” This week, I decided to use zucchini to make a chunky pasta sauce. Plus, I harvested the most beautiful Japanese eggplants. They are thin, sweet, and have the perfect texture! I combined these magical ingredients and made the best Summer Pasta with Sautéed Eggplant & Zucchini.
This hearty pasta dish comes together in under 30 minutes, but it looks like it would take much longer! It’s quick and easy—warm and inviting. It’s simply the perfect dish for a post-work date night. What’s your favorite date night dish? Let me know!
Cheers & happy eating!
PS – Like this recipe? Check out my homemade gnocchi!
* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate and referral links. I may earn a commission or bonus if you click through to make a purchase. All opinions are my own. I only work with companies and brands I personally support.
Summer Pasta with Sautéed Eggplant & Zucchini
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: 15-20 minutes; Yield: 6 servings
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 pound dry pasta, whole wheat fusilli
- 6 cloves, garlic, finely minced
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 4 tablespoons Italian seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 2 tbs, nutritional yeast
- red pepper flakes, to taste (I used 2 teaspoons)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3-4 basil leaves per dish, hand torn
- Follow Your Heart “parmesan,” garnish
- Daiya Mozzerella shreds, garnish
- extra virgin olive oil
- Heat water in a large soup pot with a pinch of salt until boiling.
- While the water is coming to a boil, peel the eggplant and slice the zucchini and eggplant into small bite size pieces.
- Note, there is no need to salt/ weep the vegetables.
- Sauté the eggplant and zucchini in a sauce pan with extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until slightly tender and golden brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Mince the garlic, and add it to the sauce pan. Stir well.
- Add the pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper, to taste.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the water starts boiling, add the whole wheat fusilli pasta, and cook according to package instructions.
- Drain the pasta and reserve some liquid to help thin the sauce.
- Put the pasta back in the pot, add the reserved liquid and the sauce mixture.
- Garnish with fresh basil and your favorite vegan cheese.
- Serve warm and enjoy!