Since I live in Cleveland, Ohio, I thought I would share my ten favorite vegan or vegan-friendly places around the city. The next time you’re passing through give one of these a try!
- Phoenix is by far my favorite coffee shop in Cleveland. There are four locations. All of the locations offer vegan alternatives using soy or almond milk. Most locations also carry vegan treats as well!
- 140 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 9pm; Friday: 7:30am – 10pm; Saturday: 11am – 10pm
- Most items are fresh and made in-house. You can get everything from a ‘buffalo chik’n’ flatbread to a soba noodle bowl. The desserts are quite delectable, and I love the array of juice, tea, and specialty coffee drinks that are available.
- You can also buy certain vegan food items and other locally made products like chapsticks and candles in the small store area.
- 1834 W. 25th St. Cleveland, Ohio
- Tuesday thru Thursday:11am to 11pm; Friday thru Saturday: 11am to 12pm
- Orale has a stand in the westside market, but also has a brick and mortar restaurant. They offer an excellent vegan menu on Tuesdays, and the regular menu always has a handful of vegetarian/ vegan options! Plus, you can sample a variety of salsas with your meal at no additional cost!
- 1824 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44118
- Sun – Thur 9 am – 9 pm; Friday 9 am – 10 pm; Saturday 7:30 am – 10 pm
- Tommy’s has been a staple in the veg-community for many, many years. They specialize in a variety of Middle Eastern foods, and have the best vegan milkshakes! However, my favorite dish at Tommy’s is the McKenna (A seitan/ fajita type wrap) with a side of their delicious homemade fries.
- 15118 Detroit Ave., Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Sunday – Monday: 7:30am – 8:00pm
- Tuesday – Saturday: 7:30am – 10:00pm
- Sunday brunch: 9am – 1pm
- At first, the Root Cafe may seem like a coffee shop with a small cafe, but it’s so much more! Their menu includes many gluten-free options and most items use locally sourced ingredients. In addition to the many splendid sandwiches, salads, and wraps, the Root always has a hefty array of vegan treats!
7. Happy Dog
- 5801 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44102
- Mon-Thu 4:00pm-2:30am; Fri-Sun 11:00am-2:30am
- Happy Dog serves hot dogs, and veggie dogs, french fries, and tater tots. That’s it. But they do it so well! You create your own dog by selecting from a long list of toppings. They all make a variety of sauces for the dogs and tots/ fries in house. Trust me, it’s hard to just pick a few!
- 3120 Bridge Ave (at Fulton Rd), Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm; Fri 11:00am-11:00pm; Sat 9:00am-11:00pm; Sun 9:00am-10:00pm
- This vegan-friendly joint serves up ‘world cuisine.’ They have vegan tacos, burritos, pad thai, as well as, made other specials and small plates. One of my favorite things about the menu is the wide variety of fresh-squeezed juices!
- 14718 Detroit Ave (at Warren), Cleveland, Ohio 44107
- Melt has six locations in Ohio – four of which are close to or in Cleveland.
- This cult classic is famous for it’s grilled cheese and double-deep fried french fries. A large portion of the sandwiches can be made vegan, and there are also some salads, soups, and appetizers as well. Each month they have a new special – you can generally get a vegetarian version but occasionally it can be made vegan too!
10. Empress Taytu
- 6125 Saint Clair Ave., Cleveland, Ohio 44103-1627
- Tues.-Sat. 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Can you believe there is only one Ethiopian Restaurant in all of Cleveland? That fact would be most upsetting if Empress Taytu wasn’t so good! If you haven’t been here, you are missing out! The dal and collard greens dishes are amazing, and you have to try the ‘coffee experience.’