***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~20-22 minutes; Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup crystalized ginger (I used this)
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup Splenda
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and vinegar together and set aside to curdle.
- After a few minutes, mix the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, powdered ginger, cinnamon, and salt, and mix until no lumps remain.
- Fold in the crystalized ginger chips.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting – I actually made my frosting from scratch. Using a hand mixer, I combined 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tbsp powdered ginger, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup soy milk. I garnished the icing with clear crystal sprinkles and colored sugar hearts.