Vegan Shortbread Cookies
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~40 minutes; Cook Time: ~15-20 minutes; Yield: 24 cookies
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- 1 cup vegan butter/ margarine at room temperature (I used Earth Balance)
- ½ cup Splenda or granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup “add ins” (Use 1 cup chopped pecans for traditional cookies or try a cookie with a twist by using ½ cup cranberries and ½ cup chocolate chips. I used ½ cup crystalized ginger chips and ½ cup chocolate chips).
- ¼ tsp cardamom, nutmeg, or cinnamon for an extra kick
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the butter and sugar until no clumps remain.
- Add in the extracts, salt, and spice(s).
- Once well-mixed, slowly add in the flour.
- Mix until completely blended and then fold in the “add-ins.”
- Roll your dough into a log with a ~3in diameter.
- Wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough and slice into ½ inch thick rounds.
- Place cookies on baking sheets. They can be quite close together since the cookies spread very little.
- Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the cookies and place on a cooling rack.