***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back. Adapted from Eggless Cooking.
Prep Time: 3 hours; Cook Time: ~15 minutes; Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup, canned pumpkin puree (I used Libby’s Organic Pumpkin)
- 2/3 cup, vegan sugar alternative
- ½ tsp, ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp, ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp, ground ginger
- ¼ tsp, vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp, baking powder
- ½ tsp, baking soda
- Heavy pinch of salt
- 3 tbls, melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup, vegan powdered sugar
- Jar of vegan cream cheese frosting or make your own!
- ¼ cup, soy or almond milk*
- Solid, untextured kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-11 x 12-15-inch jpan with parchment paper and very lightly grease the sides.
- Combine the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a seperate bowl mix the pumpkin and sugar.
- Add the melted cocnut oil and vanilla, and mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until mixed.
- If the batter is dry, add up to a ¼ cup, soy or almond milk.
- Important. Next, spread a thin, even layer of batter onto the pan with parchment paper.
- Bake the batter for 12-15 minutes. Use the toothpick method to determine when it is baked through.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately begin to loosen the edges of the cake.
- Invert the cake onto a kitchen towel coated in powdered sugar, and then remove the parchment paper. (Note, it’s best to use a towel without a pattern/ texture/ grooves).
- Carefully roll the dough from the long edge of the cake, keeping it wrapped in the towel.
- Let the cake cool on a rack for at least one hour.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll it and slide it off the towel.
- Cover the cake with your favorite vegan cream cheese frosting.
- Re-roll the cake and quickly cover it in plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 90 minutes.