***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 30 minutes; Yield – One 2″ high 9 in. round cake
Nutritional Information: 478 calories – 6 pieces or 358 calories – 8 pieces
- 2 cups, almond or soy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tsp, apple cider vinegar (I used Braggs)
- 2/3 cup, unsweetened apple sauce (80 calories
- 1 ½ cups, vegan sugar
- 4 tsp, vanilla extract
- 2 cups, flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2/3 cup, cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder)
- 1 ½ tsp, baking soda
- 1 tsp, baking powder
- Preheat over to 350 F.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients plus the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, including the curdled milk mixture. You should end up with a semi-thick batter.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased 9″ round baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. (I baked my cake for 30 minutes exactly).
- Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a plate.
- 1 cup, almond or soy milk
- ¼ cup, water
- 1/3 cup, cornstarch
- 1/3 cup, lite coconut milk
- 1¼ cups, vegan sugar
- 1 tsp, vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups, unsweetened flaked/ shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- Mix the water and corn starch and set aside.
- Pour all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the corn starch mixture and continue to stir.
- Once the water begins to boil, immediately remove it from the stove.
- Add in the coconut and pecans.
- Make sure you put the icing on the cake right away while it’s still warm. This icing forms very quickly!
- Ice the cake, and enjoy!