* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate and referral links. I may earn a commission or bonus if you click through to make a purchase. All opinions are my own. I only work with companies and brands I personally support.
Vegan Elote-Style Roasted Corn Salad
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~5 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Yield: 4 servings
- 4 small to medium pieces of corn, removed from the husks
- ½ cup, onion, finely diced
- 1 tbs, garlic, minced
- 1 tbs, avocado oil
- 2 tbs, vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 tbs, Just Mayo (I used Just Mayo Light)
- 1 lime, cut into four wedges
- 1 teaspoon, chile powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: Splatter Guard
- Heat the avocado oil in a sauté pan on high heat.
- (You need high heat to scorch the corn. Make sure you use the appropriate oil or this recipe won’t work).
- While the oil is heating up, slice the corn off the husks.
- Once the oil is hot (generally, after a few minutes), toss in the corn. I recommend using a splatter guard as it tends to splash due to the high temperature. This is the one I use.
- Oddly enough, you want to cook the corn until you hear it begin to pop.
- No, I’m not joking. This will take between 6-8 minutes, and you’ll notice a nice golden brown on most of the kernels.
- While the corn is cooking, be sure to stir as it tends to stick.
- Lower the heat and add in the diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook another two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and 2 tablespoons of vegan mayo. Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as, 1 teaspoon of chile powder.
- Serve with a lime wedge and enjoy!