Restaurants, Coffee Shops, & More!
Since I live in Cleveland, Ohio, I thought I would share some of my favorite vegan or vegan-friendly places around the city. The next time you’re passing through give one of these a try!
PS – Don’t forget to check out my round up of Cleveland Vegan Nights.
- Phoenix is by far my favorite coffee shop in Cleveland. There are four locations. All of the locations offer vegan alternatives using soy or almond milk. Most locations also carry vegan treats as well!
2. Flaming Ice Cube (Sadly closed as of Nov. 2015)
- 140 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 9:00pm; Friday: 7:30am – 10:00pm; Saturday: 11:00am – 10:00pm
- Most items are fresh and made in-house. You can get everything from a ‘buffalo chik’n’ flatbread to a soba noodle bowl. The desserts are quite delectable, and I love the array of juice, tea, and specialty coffee drinks that are available.
- You can also buy certain vegan food items and other locally made products like chapsticks and candles in the small store area.
- 1834 W. 25th St. Cleveland, Ohio
- Tuesday – Thursday: 11:00am – 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 11:00am to 12:00pm
- Orale has a stand in the westside market, but also has a brick and mortar restaurant. They offer an excellent vegan menu on Tuesdays, and the regular menu always has a handful of vegetarian/ vegan options! Plus, you can sample a variety of salsas with your meal at no additional cost!
- 1824 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44118
- Sunday – Thursday: 9:00am – 9:00pm; Friday: 9:00am – 10:00pm; Saturday: 7:30am – 10:00pm
- Tommy’s has been a staple in the veg-community for many, many years. They specialize in a variety of Middle Eastern foods, and have the best vegan milkshakes! However, my favorite dish at Tommy’s is the McKenna (A seitan/ fajita type wrap) with a side of their delicious homemade fries.
- 15118 Detroit Ave., Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Sunday & Monday: 7:30am – 8:00pm
- Tuesday – Saturday: 7:30am – 10:00pm
- Sunday brunch: 9am – 1pm
- At first, the Root Cafe may seem like a coffee shop with a small cafe, but it’s so much more! Their menu includes many gluten-free options and most items use locally sourced ingredients. In addition to the many splendid sandwiches, salads, and wraps, the Root always has a hefty array of vegan treats!
7. Happy Dog
- 5801 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44102
- Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm-2:30am; Friday – Sunday: 11:00am-2:30am
- Happy Dog serves hot dogs, and veggie dogs, french fries, and tater tots. That’s it. But they do it so well! You create your own dog by selecting from a long list of toppings. They all make a variety of sauces for the dogs and tots/ fries in house. Trust me, it’s hard to just pick a few!
- 3120 Bridge Ave (at Fulton Rd), Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Monday – Thursday: 11:00am-10:00pm; Friday: 11:00am-11:00pm; Saturday: 9:00am-11:00pm; Sunday: 9:00am-10:00pm
- This vegan-friendly joint serves up ‘world cuisine.’ They have vegan tacos, burritos, pad thai, as well as, made other specials and small plates. One of my favorite things about the menu is the wide variety of fresh-squeezed juices!
- 14718 Detroit Ave (at Warren), Cleveland, Ohio 44107
- Melt has six locations in Ohio – four of which are close to or in Cleveland.
- This cult classic is famous for it’s grilled cheese and double-deep fried french fries. A large portion of the sandwiches can be made vegan, and there are also some salads, soups, and appetizers as well. Each month they have a new special – you can generally get a vegetarian version but occasionally it can be made vegan too!
10. Empress Taytu
- 6125 Saint Clair Ave., Cleveland, Ohio 44103-1627
- Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Hands down, Empress Taytu is the best Ethiopian in Cleveland, but probably also the best you’ve ever had! If you haven’t been here, you are missing out! The dal and collard greens dishes are amazing, and you have to try the ‘coffee experience.’
- W 25th St, Cleveland, OH 44113
- Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30am; Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am – 2:30am
- Townhall uses locally sourced ingredients, had ample seating and a patio, and includes a plethora of vegan options. Meals ranges from tacos to veggies burgers, but the real gem is their weekend brunch. Townhall serves build your own crepes, and they have a vegan batter! This is a must try! See my full review.
- Coventry: 1767 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44118
- Sunday – Thursday: 12:00pm – 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm – 11:00pm
- University Circle: 11607 Euclid Avenue, Suite B, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
- Monday – Thursday: 1:00pm – 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 12:00 – 11:00pm; Sunday: 12:00pm – 9:00pm
- What’s warm weather without a trip for frozen yogurt? Picadilly serves traditional and non-dairy frozen yogurt that is made with coconut milk. The flavors range on a weekly basis, but you can count on a vanilla/ chocolate, as well as, a fruity flavor. The vegan key lime is amazing!
13. Nate’s Deli
- 1923 W 25th St, Cleveland, OH 44113
- Saturday: 10:00am – 4:00pm; Sunday: Closed: Monday – Friday: 10:00am – 5:00 pm
- This is a classic Cleveland stop. Nate’s Deli is my favorite place to get Mediterranean grub in a diner setting. They serve classic deli sandwiches & salads, plus Mediterranean dishes. Their Fattoosh salad and Baba Ganooj are the best in town!
- 15711 Waterloo Road, Cleveland, OH 44110
- Saturday Brunch: 11:00am – 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am – 3:00pm / Reservations Recommended
- Have you ever wanted to eat brunch in an old-school ballroom while listening to records? If so, you’re in luck! Food is served throughout the week, but the real treat is brunch. Their weekend menu includes vegan options like the “vegan special” which is their take on a tofu scramble, but my recommendation is the pinto bean chilaquiles made vegan. It’s such an indulgent, delicious way to start the day!