*Highly modified version of the Vegan Cupcakes Takeover the World Carrot Cake Cupcake (Get this book!)
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: ~26 minutes; Yield: One tall 9″ round cake or 18 cupcakes
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar or sugar alternative (I used splenda)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup soy yogurt (I used vanilla Silk yogurt)
- ½ cup almond or soy milk
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup crystalized ginger chips
- ½ cup Earth Balance margarine, softened
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese, softened
- 2½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9 in baking pan. (alternatively fill a cupcake pan with liners)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and then add them to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until no large clump remain.
- Fold in the carrots, walnuts, raisins and crystalized ginger.
- Spread the batter evenly into a 9 in round cake pan or fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for ~26 minutes until you can insert a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, make the icing.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the margarine and cream cheese together until combined.
- Turn the mixer on slow and begin to add in the confectioners sugar in small batches.
- Mix until smooth and creamy and then beat in the vanilla.
- Set the icing in the refrigerator until the cake is ready to be iced.
- Transfer the cake/ cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Ice the cake/ cupcakes, decorate, and enjoy!