***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~20 minutes; Cook Time: ~10 minutes; Yield: Serves 2
- ½ block extra firm tofu
- ½ cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 2 large lettuce leaves, torn
- ½ jalapeño, thinly sliced and seeded
- ½ cup Rice Wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. vegan sugar
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 2 tbs vegan mayo (I used Just Mayo)
- 1 tbs spicy mustard
- 2 6″ hoagie buns
- Olive oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the carrots, onion, cabbage, and cucumber.
- Be sure to keep the cucumber separate from the other veggies.
- Combine the rice wine vinegar, vegan sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the carrot, cabbage, and onion.
- Mix together until well coated.
- Set aside for 15 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Thinly slice the tofu block so you achieve eight 1.5″x4″ pieces that are .25″ thick.
- Pat dry to remove excess moisture.
- Place the tofu in a shallow pan with a drizzle of olive oil or on a griddle.
- Let the tofu sauté until it is well browned on both slides, flipping, occasionally.
- Thinly slice and seed the jalapeño.
- Rinse and tear the lettuce leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast each side of the buns for a few minutes.
- You want to achieve a slight crisp, but do not burn the buns.
- Assemble the sandwiches with mayo, mustard, tofu slices, pickled veggies, cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro.