Adapted recipe from the Vegan Fire & Spice cookbook ,which I highly recommend.
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~60 minutes; Yield: Serves 8
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped into thin rounds
- 1 lg. yukon gold potato, chopped
- 1 ½ c. dried red lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. each of cinnamon, cardamom coriander, ginger, & freshly ground salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. each of turmeric and cumin
- 2 tsp. Harissa seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbl. lemon juice
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and potato. Cover and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the diced tomatoes, lentils, and all of the spices. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Finally, add the lemon juice and cook uncovered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan cheese and parsley.