- Prep Time: 10 minutes — Cook Time: 40 minutes
- ~32 ounces
- 5 pounds fresh tomatoes (~30 tomatoes of various size)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, removed from the stem
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, removed from the stem
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground salt
- Pepper to taste
- Prepare the tomatoes:
- Cut a small x on the side of each tomato and drop then one by one into boiling water for ~10 seconds.
- Immediately remove the tomatoes and place them in an ice bath. The skin should easily peel off.
- I also then remove the core of the tomato with a small knife, or interestingly enough, a lemon juice tool. There is no need to “seed.”
- Prepare the infused olive oil:
- Pour the extra virgin olive oil into a medium – large stockpot on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and garlic.
- Sauté until onions are translucent and beginning to caramelize (about 6 minutes).
- Add the chopped basil leaves, oregano, and thyme. Sauté a few more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and strain the olive oil.
- Remove the bits and pieces, put the oil back in the stockpot, and add the tomatoes.
- Simmer your sauce over low heat for 45 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add salt & pepper and taste as you go.
- The sauce should ‘cook down’ and begin to look a bit darker.
- Enjoy immediately over your favorite pasta, store in the fridge up to one week, or can it accordingly.
- Mangia! Mangia!