* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate and referral links. I may earn a commission or bonus if you click through to make a purchase. All opinions are my own. I only work with companies and brands I personally support.
Simple Homemade Crusty Bread
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back. Heavily adapted from this Youtube video from Tasty. Check them out!
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Rise Time: 60 minutes
Proof Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra (We use King Arthur)
- 2 ½ tablespoons salt
- 2¼ teaspoons instant yeast (1 packet, straight from fridge)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (to cover the bowl)
- Cast iron dutch oven
*Note, Try letting all ingredients come up to temperature before mixing everything together.Stir the dry active yeast and water together.
- Mix the salt and flour together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well, and mix until well combined. *Note, you should have a fairly sticky dough ball.
- Cover with a towel and let rest two hours to proof.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and dust with more flour.
- Coat the bowl with extra virgin olive oil and place the dough inside.
- Cover with a towel and let rest at room temperature overnight.
- The next day, move the oven rack as low as it will go, and preheat oven to 450 degrees F, with the dutch oven inside.
- Remove the double over and add the fully proofed dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the dutch oven lid on; then 15 minutes with the lid off.
- Rest 10 minutes with a towel covering the bread.