***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~65 minutes; Yield: Serves 10
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 leaves of kale, sliced and chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce cans) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon, turmeric
- ½ teaspoon, ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon, salt
- 1 teaspoon, ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon, ground cinnamon
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chick peas, drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pan and place over medium heat.
- Sauté the peppers, onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, lentils, and spices, and continue to cook while covered for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cannellini beans and cook another 10 minutes.
- Mix in the kale and cook for another minute.
- Service with fresh grated vegan mozzarella cheese.