***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~22 minutes; Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2½ cups soy or almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2½ tbsps lime zest (about two whole limes)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Other – two mixing bowls, whisk, measuring cups, and an ice cream scoop.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fill cupcake pans with liners and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over very low heat until melted. Be sure to keep an eye on this process and to stir the oil.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the soy or almond milk, vanilla, coconut, and almond extracts, and lime zest/juice. Mix well, making sure the oil does not begin to create clumps.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Once mixed, fold into the wet mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. (I use a 2″ ice cream scoop. It perfectly fills cupcake liners!)
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted through the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and then ice your cupcake. I used a standard vanilla icing with clear, sparkly sprinkles. To round out the cupcake, cut a lime into small wedges. Squeeze some juice over the icing and place the remaining wedge on top.