***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back.
Prep Time: 90 minutes; Cook Time: 2-3 minutes
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- 8 small-medium potatoes (not red) or 4 large potatoes
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (plus some extra)
- 1 tsp. table salt
- Tomato Sauce
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese (I used Follow Your Heart)
- Fresh basil
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- While the water is heating up, peel the potatoes.
- Once boiling, add the potatoes and boil until they are soft (fork tender).
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with a metal food masher, ricer, or other mashing tool.
- Add the salt and flour and knead the mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Dump out the old water from boiling the potatoes, and bring a fresh pot of water to a boil.
- While the water is heating up starting rolling out your gnocchi on a lightly floured surface.
- I suggest splitting your dough into 6 sections and rolling them one-by-one into a rope.
- Aim for a rope about an inch wide, perhaps a little less.
- Cut small 1″ gnocchi ‘pillows’ and set aside.
- Once you have your gnocchi ‘pillows,’ begin rolling them down the curved side of a fork. This will enable the sauce to better stick to the gnocchi and is the traditional style.
- Now is a good time to heat your marinera sauce with any additional herbs/ veggies on the stove.
- Cover with a lid, and let simmer.
- When the water is boiling, transfer the gnocchi.
- Do not overcook!
- The gnocchi should float to the surface after 90 sec. – 2 minutes.
- Remove the gnocchi’s with a skimmer as they float to the top to avoid any gnocchi from overcooking.
- Transfer to the saucepan.
- Combine the gnocchi, and marinera sauce.
- Plate your gnocchi dishes, and serve with vegan parmesan and garnish.
- Enjoy! Mangia! Mangia!