It’s summer and that means one thing—it’ time to make crisps and crumbles full of unique flavors! I recently visited my local farmers market and was so happy to find rhubarb! Most people mix rhubarb with strawberry, but I like to let the rhubarb flavor shine on its own. I updated my old recipe and perfected a new and improved vegan basil rhubarb crisp.
The basil adds a savory twist which helps tone down the natural acidity from the rhubarb. The result is a sugary, but not too sweet, dessert that pairs perfectly with vegan whipped cream or ice cream. This crisp is sure to please everyone at your next summer potluck, plus it’s so easy to make! It requires only eight ingredients and takes under an hour to complete. Head to your local farmers market and pick up some beautiful red-green stalks today!
* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own!
Vegan Basil Rhubarb Crumble
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: ~35-45 minutes; Yield: ~6×9 Pyrex
- 1 non-stick spatula
- Pyrex Glass Baking Dish
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, cut into 3/4″ pieces
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup, Earth Balance, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Chop the rhubarb and gather the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Add the finely chopped basil.
- Mix together the flour, melted Earth Balance, brown sugar, and rolled oats.
- Spread the filling mixture into a pyrex pan.
- Cover the mixture evenly with the crumble topping.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. The filling should be bubbling.
- Remove to cool.
- Dust with vegan powdered sugar or raw sugar.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!