I recently blew out the candles for my 30th birthday. Where did the time go?! The weekend was filled with family, friends, lots of laughter, and of course, plenty of good food! When it comes to baking for my loved ones, I go all out with flavor and style. But for me, I like to keep my own birthday treats simple.
I love a perfectly done vegan vanilla cupcake. The light airy cake, topped with a sweet icing and sprinkles – it can’t be beat! There is something so comforting and special about it. I’ve been making these cupcakes for years, but I recently doubled the amount of time I let the soy milk and apple cider vinegar curdle. I have to say, it made a huge difference! I’ve never had cupcakes so fluffy!
Give this updated recipe a try and let me know how it works for you!
Cheers & happy eating!
* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own!
Prep Time: ~20 minutes; Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon sugar
- ½ cup Earth Balance, softened
- 1½ cup soy milk (not almond for this recipe)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Truvia baking blend
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin pan with your favorite cupcake liners.
- Whisk the soy milk and apple cider vinegar vinegar together and set aside to curdle (note, let it rest for 10 minutes! The added time makes the batter fluffy).
- Combine the softened Earth Balance, vanilla, and Truvia baking blend, until no large chunks remain.
- Once the soy milk mixture has rested, add it into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon sugar, and salt, and mix until no lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. (I use an ice cream scooper!)
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting – I cheated and used vanilla pillsbury, but you can actually make your own frosting from scratch. Using a hand mixer, combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup soy milk until fluffy.
- Garnish with sprinkles of your choosing.