It’s 6:30pm on a weeknight. You got stuck at work, and then in traffic. You’re tired, you’re hungry, but not to worry—dinner is already done! Casserole is a perfect goto meal for busy weeknights. You can make it in advance and simply reheat and serve on the spot.
Growing up, I know that green bean casserole was a popular staple at family get together and holiday events. However, I just couldn’t get excited about the dish. It’s soggy. I don’t like mushrooms. The list goes on.
I finally decided to give traditional green bean casserole a vegan twist, using vegetable broth and nutritional yeast instead of cream of mushroom soup! Check out the step by step pictures below.
What’s your favorite weeknight recipe?
* Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own!
Homestyle Green Bean Casserole
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: 25 minutes
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- ½ stick Earth Balance
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp soy/ tamari sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 14.5-oz. cans green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup or more fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop a sweet onion into 2-3 in’ slices and finely mince the garlic.
- In a small saucepan, sauté 3 cloves of garlic over low heat until just golden brown.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt half the Earth Balance over low heat.
- Sauté the onion until almost caramelized with a nice brown color. About 4 minutes.
- Set the onions aside in a bowl.
- In the same sauce pan, add the minced garlic, soy milk, vegetable broth, soy sauce and spices.
- Whisk the ingredients over low heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the flour until the mixture thickens almost like a roux.
- Place the green beans into an 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the green beans.
- Top with the caramelized onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with the fried onions and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.
- Bake for another 5 minutes until browned.