It’s 6:30pm on a weeknight. You got stuck at work, and then in traffic. You’re tired, you’re hungry, but not to worry—dinner is already done! Casserole is a perfect goto meal for busy weeknights. You can make it in advance and simply reheat and serve on the spot.
Growing up, I know that green bean casserole was a popular staple at family get together and holiday events. However, I just couldn’t get excited about the dish. It’s soggy. I don’t like mushrooms. The list goes on.
I finally decided to give traditional green bean casserole a vegan twist, using vegetable broth and nutritional yeast instead of cream of mushroom soup! Check out the step by step pictures below.
What’s your favorite weeknight recipe?
Homestyle Green Bean Casserole
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: 25 minutes
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- ½ stick Earth Balance
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ plain, unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tbsp soy/ tamari sauce
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 14.5-oz. cans green beans, drained
- 1/2 cup or more fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop a sweet onion into 2-3 in’ slices and finely mince the garlic.
- In a small saucepan, sauté 3 cloves of garlic over low heat until just golden brown.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt half the Earth Balance over low heat.
- Sauté the onion until almost caramelized with a nice brown color. About 4 minutes.
- Set the onions aside in a bowl.
- In the same sauce pan, add the minced garlic, soy milk, vegetable broth, soy sauce and spices.
- Whisk the ingredients over low heat.
- Add the nutritional yeast and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the flour until the mixture thickens almost like a roux.
- Place the green beans into an 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the green beans.
- Top with the caramelized onions.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with the fried onions and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.
- Bake for another 5 minutes until browned.