We’re well into soup season so I wanted to share my quick and easy hearty vegan chili recipe. There is nothing better than sitting down with a big, comforting bowl of chili on a bitter cold evening. And it is certainly cold in Cleveland!
This recipe calls for a few pantry staples, as well as some easy to find produce. I recommend making a big pot of this chili on Sunday or Monday and eating it throughout the week. This recipe keeps for about 7-10 days, and it tastes just as good as leftovers!
It’s so easy – just chop, sauté, and simmer your way to a delectable vegan chili. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Happy cooking! Cheers!
Hearty Vegan Chili
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~60 minutes; Yield: Serves 8
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lg. green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ c. dried red lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can no salt added corn
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. each of cinnamon, cardamom, chili powder, & freshly ground salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. each of turmeric and cumin
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. Harissa seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch kale, torn into pieces
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell peppers. Cover and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the diced tomatoes, lentils, and all of the spices. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce, cover, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the canned beans and corn and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Finally, add the kale and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan cheese.