Soup season has officially started. There is a chill in the air, the leaves are falling, the sweaters are out, and soup is on the menu. Who doesn’t love a big bowl of comforting, warm soup?
Soup is one of the easiest things you can make for dinner. Better yet – make a big vat on Sunday and eat it all week long! From thick and creamy to vegetable-chunky, soup is so versatile, yet so simple.
Just chop up your veggies, gather other ingredients, mix it all in your slow cooker or on the stove and you’re basically done.
Today I’m sharing one of my go to soup recipes for the fall. It’s a hearty, spicy vegan lentil stew. The flavors are mix of sweet and savory, with just a hint of heat. You’ll be sure to make this a staple in no time. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Happy cooking! Cheers!
Spicy Vegan Lentil Stew
Adapted recipe from the Vegan Fire & Spice cookbook ,which I highly recommend.
Prep Time: ~15 minutes; Cook Time: ~60 minutes; Yield: Serves 8
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lg. red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped into thin rounds
- 1 lg. yukon gold potato, chopped
- 1 ½ c. dried red lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. each of cinnamon, cardamom coriander, ginger, & freshly ground salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. each of turmeric and cumin
- 2 tsp. Harissa seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbl. lemon juice
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and potato. Cover and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the diced tomatoes, lentils, and all of the spices. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Finally, add the lemon juice and cook uncovered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan cheese and parsley.