I hope you’re all enjoying the weather, getting together with friends, and eating yummy food! In preparation for several holiday get togethers this weekend, I went to the West Side Market to pick up some fresh produce. I was so please to find one of my favorite summer vegetable/fruits – rhubarb!
2. the large-leaved Eurasian plant that produces rhubarb.
Rhubarb is technically a vegetable, but legally a fruit. It’s generally thought of as the “pie plant” since the stalk is used in many summer pie fillings. Strawberry-rhubarb pie anyone? Sure, it’s tasty, but pie is overdone, and who wants to roll a pie crust in 85 degree weather? Not me!
Today I decided to make a sweet, rhubarb crisp. There are only seven ingredients, and this recipe is so easy to make! Head out to your local farmer’s market and pick up some beautiful greenish red rhubarb stalks to make this dessert today!
Vegan Rhubarb Crisp
***Please feel free to share widely, just give me some credit or a link back
Prep Time: ~10 minutes; Cook Time: ~35-45 minutes; Yield: ~6×9 Pyrex or 8×8 dish
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, 3/4″ pieces
- 1 cup vegan sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour (I used a mixture of whole wheat and pastry flour)
- ½ cup, Earth Balance, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Chop the rhubarb and gather the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Mix together the flour, melted Earth Balance, brown sugar, and rolled oats.
- Spread the filling mixture into a pyrex pan.
- Cover the mixture evenly with the crumble topping.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. The filling should be bubbling.
- Remove to cool.
- Dust with vegan powdered sugar. Serve with vegan whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!