There is a saying in my kitchen – Good food plus good food equals good food. We say this when trying to decide if we want to make a one skillet meal or keep all the ingredients separate. We generally opt for one skillet so there is a less clean up, and heck, it tastes the same anyway! This means we make a lot of ragouts, skillet means, and scrambles.
This week we made a super satisfying southwest inspired tofu scramble. We considered keeping the potatoes separate as their own hash brown segment, but then we decided to lump them into the scramble. Because, why not?! It tasted great. The tofu had a spicy, smokey flavor, and the vegetables were reminiscent of fajitas. Think of this as a meal every bit as tasty as tacos, but more socially accepted before noon.
Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained
- 4-5 red potatoes, diced
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ cup onion, minced
- ½ cup yellow pepper, chopped
- ½ cup orange pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- Scramble Seasoning
- Bring water in a medium saucepan to a boil.
- Place the red potatoes in the water, and boil for 3-5 minutes until easily pierced by a fork.
- Drain the water and set aside the potatoes to cool.
- Chop tofu into 1″ square cubes. Lightly ‘smash’ the tofu so it makes large ‘crumbles.’
- Place the tofu in a small mixing bowl and add the “Scramble seasoning” mixture. Combine well, and set aside.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet.
- Slice the avocado, and set aside.
- Mince the jalapeño.
- Chop the onion, orange, yellow, and green peppers.
- Chop the red potatoes once cool enough to handle.
- Sauté the peppers until they turn bright but are still a little crisp.
- Add the potatoes, onion, and jalapeño.
- Once almost fully sautéed, add in the tofu mixture.
- Let the tofu heat up until one side gets slightly browned but not burnt.
- Flip and stir the tofu veggie mixture until evenly cooked. (Note, you may need to add more oil to prevent sticking).
- Garnish with vegan cheese, avocado, optional sour cream, and fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!