A friend sent me a recipe for Salty Sesame and Dark Chocolate Chip cookies from Joy the Baker. It certainly wasn’t the easiest recipe to ‘veganize’ considering if called for quite a bit of butter and an egg, plus an extra egg yolk. However, it was worth the hassle!
These are the perfect cookies for anyone who likes things sweet and salty. They came out of the oven warm and chewy. Honestly, these had a consistency rarely found in vegan cookies. Plus, they taste even better! The sesame seeds add a unique twist on a salty chocolate chip cookie.
So here it goes, below is my highly modified version of the Salty Sesame and Dark Chocolate Chip cookies from Joy the Baker. Give them a try. Your tastebuds will thank you!
- 25 minutes (12 cook, 13 prep)
- 24 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup, 2 sticks Earth Balance, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated vegan sugar or sugar alternative (I used Splenda)
- 2 eggs worth of Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 tbs black sesame seeds
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I used ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup crystalized ginger chips
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the Earth Balance and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Pause the mixer and add the two Ener-G Egg Replacers and beat until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and soy sauce and beat another 1-2 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and add the dry ingredients.
- Beat on low speed until mixed and no clumps remain.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips, sesame seeds, and ginger chips.
- Pour a shallow layer of sesame seeds in a small dish.
- Rolls golf ball size balls of dough by hand and then roll them in the sesame seeds before placing them on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until all of the dough has been used.
- Sprinkle a very light amount of sea salt over the cookie dough balls.
- Bake for ~12 minutes until the edges of the cookies look golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to cooling racks, and allow to cool completely before enjoying these delicious cookies!
- PS – You should store these cookies in an air tight container. This will ensure they last about 5 days.