Lately, I’ve been all about tacos. Taco Tuesday everyday … tacos for lunch, tacos for dinner, and of course, breakfast tacos. I thought I’d share the basic recipe for the breakfast tacos my partner Cory whipped up for me this ‘morning.’ (Okay, maybe it was almost noon.) Hands down it was my favorite homemade breakfast taco to-date, and they are relatively simple to make!
Vegan Breakfast Tacos:
Ingredients/ Shopping List:
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. jerk seasoning
- 4 links Field Roast breakfast sausage
- 1 link Field Roast Mexican Chorizo sausage
- Mexican Rice
- Optional, black beans and/or corn.
- Tortilla shells (I used fiber rich whole wheat shells from Whole Foods – 45 calories/ piece)
- Prepare the Mexican rice.
- Heat olive or avocado oil in a skillet.
- Cube the avocado, and set aside.
- Mince the garlic, onion, and jalapeño.
- Chop the red and green peppers and Field Roast sausages.
- Sauté the red and green peppers until they turn bright but are still a little crisp.
- Add the Field Roast Sausages, garlic, onion, and jalapeño, as well as, the jerk seasoning.
- Once almost fully sautéed, add in the black beans and corn.
- Heat up a tortilla. Top with a layer of Mexican rice, and the veggie and protein mixture.
- Garnish with vegan cheese, avocado, and sour cream. *My partner made an avocado cream sauce for our topping. This involved pureeing avocado, chile powder, garlic, vegan sour cream, and onion in a blender.